Beware! Danger Stalks!
There is much theoretical, or academic knowledge floating around in people’s minds, but, very little heart action is seen. What is needed is active knowledge for when it is inactive, danger is stalking around and that danger is Satan!
“Experience is knowledge derived from experiment. Experimental religion is what is needed now. ‘Taste and see that the Lord is good.’ Some—yes, a large number—have a theoretical knowledge of religious truth, but have never felt the renewing power of divine grace upon their own hearts. …
- They believe in the wrath of God, but put forth no earnest efforts to escape it.
- They believe in heaven, but make no sacrifice to obtain it.
- They believe in the value of the soul and that erelong its redemption ceaseth forever. Yet they neglect the most precious opportunities to make their peace with God.” Testimonies, vol. 5, 221.
“Satan believes the truth and trembles, yet this kind of faith possesses no virtue. Many who have made a high profession of faith are deficient in good works.” Ibid., vol. 2, 657. The devil loves it when people just believe. Beware of belief without action for that is where danger lurks!
- “They may read the Bible, but its threatenings do not alarm or its promises win them.
- They approve things that are excellent, yet they follow the way in which God has forbidden them to go.
- They know a refuge, but do not avail themselves of it.
- They know a remedy for sin, but do not use it.
- They know the right, but have no relish for it.
- All their knowledge will but increase their condemnation. They have never tasted and learned by experience that the Lord is good.” Ibid., vol. 5, 221, 222.
Beware! Head knowledge will not do you or anyone else any good unless it reaches out through the heart and touches others. “The Christian life is a warfare. … Today sin is cherished and excused. The sharp sword of the Spirit, the word of God, does not cut to the soul. Has religion changed? Has Satan’s enmity to God abated? A religious life once presented difficulties and demanded self-denial. All is made very easy now. And why is this? The professed people of God have compromised with the power of darkness. …
“The path to heaven is no smoother now than in the days of our Saviour.” Ibid., 222.
The danger of compromise is so strong. Knowledge is exceptional but heart action is lifeless. Pray for that new heart and compromise no longer with Satan. Beware! Your life and the lives of all around you are in danger.
Father: I praise you for Your longsuffering and mercy toward us. The war is at a standstill and we have made compromises. Our lights have grown dim in the shadow of Satan’s darkness. We need Thy truth to shine through our hearts for we have buried it beneath the dust of our lives. Help us to bring forth Thy truth that it may dispel the darkness around us. Amen.