In reality, people often think themselves much more ready for the heavenly country than is actually true. Hearts are deceived as to their true condition—in fact, many of us think that we are ready for Jesus to come, but we are farther away than we think. Consider if Christ were to appear today. Would you, in your current spiritual condition, find yourself out of place or be able to blend in with holy beings?
“Suppose that today Christ should appear in the clouds of heaven, who … would be ready to meet Him? Suppose we should be translated into the kingdom of heaven just as we are.
- Would we be prepared to unite with the saints of God, to live in harmony with the royal family, the children of the heavenly King?
- What preparation have you made for the judgment?
- Have you made your peace with God?
- Are you laboring together with God?
- Are you seeking to help those around you, those in your home, those in your neighborhood, those with whom you come in contact that are not keeping the commandments of God? …
- Are we getting ready to meet the King?” Maranatha
And then the question is asked:
- “If it were possible for us to be admitted into heaven as we are, how many of us would be able to look upon God?
- How many of us have on the wedding-garment?
- How many of us are without spot or wrinkle or any such thing?
- How many of us are worthy to receive the crown of life? . . . Position does not make the man. It is Christ formed within that makes a man worthy of receiving the crown of life, that fadeth not away.”
“I was pointed to the remnant on the earth. The angel said to them, ‘Will ye shun the seven last plagues? … If so, ye must die that ye may live. Get ready, get ready, get ready. Ye must have a greater preparation than ye now have. … Sacrifice all to God. Lay all upon His altar—self, property, and all, a living sacrifice. It will take all to enter glory.’ …
“If you are right with God today, you are ready if Christ should come today.” Ibid.
Are you right with God today?
Heavenly Father: Prepare our hearts and actions to meet with You in the very near future. Open our eyes to the spots and wrinkles in our words and actions that will keep us out of heaven. Give us the courage to turn away from self and the devil’s ways and to walk only in heavenly places. Amen.