The people who receive the latter rain will be those who are diligently working as co-laborers with God (I Corinthians 3:9). The latter rain comes on those who follow this counsel.
- DO ALL THEY CAN. “The latter rain is coming on those that are pure—all, then, will receive it as formerly. None receive the latter rain but those who do all they can. Christ will help us. All could be overcomers by the grace of God through the blood of Jesus. All heaven is interested in the work. Angels are interested.” General Conference Daily Bulletin, February 7, 1893. (All emphasis supplied.)
- CLEAN THE KING’S HIGHWAY OF MORAL DEFORMITY.“If those who handle the word of God will come to God as little children, they will see of His salvation, and Jesus will walk among them to make them vessels unto honor. Those who follow in the light need have no anxiety lest that in the outpouring of the latter rain they will not be baptized with the Holy Spirit. If we would receive the light of the glorious angel that shall lighten the earth with His glory, let us see to it that our hearts are cleansed, emptied of self, and turned toward heaven, that they may be ready for the latter rain. Let us be obtaining a fitting up to join in the proclamation of the angel who shall lighten the earth with His glory. Let us be colaborers with Christ. Now is the time for us to let self die, to crucify the flesh, with the affections and lusts, to deny the cravings of appetite and passion. The minds of many are channels for impure thoughts. They do not have a realizing sense of the offensive character of sin. I call upon you to clear the King’s highway.” Signs of the Times, August 1, 1892.
- THE MAJORITY ARE LABORERS TOGETHER WITH GOD.“The great outpouring of the Spirit of God, which lightens the whole earth with His glory, will not come until we have an enlightened people, that know by experience what it means to be laborers together with God. When we have entire, wholehearted consecration to the service of Christ, God will recognize the fact by an outpouring of His Spirit without measure; but this will not be while the largest portion of the church are not laborers together with God. God cannot pour out His Spirit when selfishness and self-indulgence are so manifest; when a spirit prevails that, if put into words, would express that answer of Cain,— ‘Am I my brother’s keeper?’ ” Review and Herald, July 21, 1896.
- GOD’S PEOPLE ARE EARNESTLY PLEADING FOR SOULS. “When the churches become living, working agencies for the salvation of the perishing, the Holy Spirit will be given in answer to their sincere request. The truths of God’s Word will be regarded with new interest, and will be searched after as if they were fresh revelations from heaven. Envy, jealousy, evil surmising, will cease. The study of the Word will absorb the mind, and its truths will feast the soul. The promises of God that all too often in the past have been repeated as if the soul had never tasted of His love, will glow upon the altar of the heart, and fall in burning words from the lips of the messenger of truth. The members of our churches will be pleading for souls with an earnestness that cannot be repulsed. The windows of heaven will be open for the outpouring of the latter rain.” Review and Herald, November 5, 1914.
- PEOPLE ARE FITTED TO STAND. “Ministers and people are unprepared for the time in which they live, and nearly all who profess to believe present truth are unprepared to understand the work of preparation for this time. In their present state of worldly ambition, with their lack of consecration to God, their devotion to self, they are wholly unfitted to receive the latter rain and, having done all, to stand against the wrath of Satan, who by his inventions would cause them to make shipwreck of faith, fastening upon them some pleasing self-deception. They think they are all right when they are all wrong.” Testimonies, vol. 1, 466.
- TAKE THE GOSPEL TO THE WORLD. “The natural heart is not to bring its own tainted, corrupting principles into the work of God. There must be no concealing of the principles of our faith. The third angel’s message is to be sounded by God’s people. It is to swell to the loud cry. The Lord has a time appointed when He will bind off the work; but when is that time?—when the truth to be proclaimed for these last days shall go forth as a witness to all nations, then shall the end come. If the power of Satan can come into the very temple of God, and manipulate things as he pleases, the time of preparation will be prolonged.” Manuscript Releases, vol. 9, 212.