The word beneficence means active goodness. Most people are unaware of any circuit of beneficence working around them. Oh how selfish the heart of man has become in living to itself!
“There is nothing, save the selfish heart of man, that lives unto itself.
- No bird that cleaves the air, no animal that moves upon the ground, but ministers to some other life.
- There is no leaf of the forest, or lowly blade of grass, but has its ministry.
- Every tree and shrub and leaf pours forth that element of life without which neither man nor animal could live;
- and man and animal, in turn, minister to the life of tree and shrub and leaf.
- The flowers breathe fragrance and unfold their beauty in blessing to the world.
- The sun sheds its light to gladden a thousand worlds.
- The ocean, itself the source of all our springs and fountains, receives the streams from every land, but takes to give.
- The mists ascending from its bosom fall in showers to water the earth, that it may bring forth and bud.” The Desire of Ages, 20, 21.
Even the joy of the angels is in giving!
“The angels of glory find their joy in giving –
- giving love and tireless watchcare to souls that are fallen and unholy.
- Heavenly beings woo the hearts of men;
- they bring to this dark world light from the courts above;
- by gentle and patient ministry they move upon the human spirit, to bring the lost into a fellowship with Christ which is even closer than they themselves can know.” Ibid., 21.
This circuit of beneficence, this active goodness, is going on all around us, but few are aware.
“But turning from all lesser representations, we behold God in Jesus. Looking unto Jesus we see that it is the glory of our God to give. … All things Christ received from God, but He took to give. So in the heavenly courts, in His ministry for all created beings: through the beloved Son, the Father’s life flows out to all; through the Son it returns, in praise and joyous service, a tide of love, to the great Source of all.
And thus through Christ the circuit of beneficence is complete, representing the character of the great Giver, the law of life.” Ibid.
Lucifer, the covering cherub, chose not to be part of the circuit, that active goodness, in heaven and is no longer walking in heavenly places. How do you choose? Are you a part of that beneficent circuit?
Father: I was not aware of the active goodness, that circuit, working around me. But now I want to be part of it each moment. Remove the selfishness from my heart that I may continually walk with Jesus and the angels. Help me to remember that all I receive from You, physically, mentally and spiritually, is to be joined into that circuit of beneficence—that active goodness, that it may flow continually. Amen.