Our only safety is to keep our feet on the path that God has laid out in His Word. Each time our feet swerve from the heavenly path, we become a stumbling block to others.
“Many professed Christians are now only stumbling-blocks—false way-marks.
- They do not represent to the world by good works the principles of the doctrines of Christ.
- They neglect the study of the Scriptures, and secret prayer, and have become, so far as their influence is concerned, traitors to their holy trust.
- Their hearts have gradually become hardened;
- They have a name to live, while the vital energies of the soul have become spiritually paralyzed.
“Of this class our Saviour speaks: ‘Many will say unto Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity’ (Matthew 7:22, 23).” [Emphasis added.] The Review and Herald, July 10, 1879.
“Christ is stooping over His throne today, His great heart of love yearning with deep and tender compassion over those who are careless, and neglectful of their eternal interests.” Ibid.
It is time to plead for that spiritual discernment that will keep us from becoming stumbling blocks to others that will cause their demise. Now is the time to search our own hearts and repent of any indifference or hardness of heart that may be found for the hour of probation is passing quickly.
“It is not enough to profess to believe in Christ, saying that we are saved by Christ, when we do not practice the lessons He has given.
- All such professed Christians are represented by the man who built his house upon the sand;
- While the hearers and doers of the word are represented by the man who built his house upon the rock, and amid tempest, storm, and flood, it remained unmoved.
- Thus the true foundation for every soul is represented by those who not only hear the truth but practice it.
- Those who claim to be children of God and do not His will are hypocrites.” Ibid.
A follower of Jesus Christ will be assimilated to his image. He will not be swayed from his foundation and become a false waymark.
Father: I need spiritual discernment that I may recognize the moment that my feet slip. I realize now that I become a stumbling block to others when my feet swerve from walking in the path set forth in Your Word. Please Father, I plead the prayer in Psalm 17:5 that You would “Hold up my goings in Thy paths, that my footsteps slip not,” that no soul be lost because of my actions or words. Amen.