Choose the lighter colored “pie pumpkins” or “sugar pumpkins.” They are sweeter and less watery than the orange jack-o’-lantern pumpkins.
- Cut the top from the pumpkin and scrape out the stringy membranes and seeds.
- Cut the pumpkin into large pieces and place in a roasting pan.
- Pour ½ cup water into the bottom of the pan and cover with foil.
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until pumpkin is soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Scrape the soft pulp from the skin into a food processor or blender and puree.
- Use for pie filling, puddings or cookies.
Leftover pumpkin puree may be frozen in an airtight container for up to 12 months.